I have friends who ditched their microwave. I’ll admit it, I thought they were crazy.
That’s when I started doing some research on my own about microwaves and I didn’t like what I was finding out.
As a single parent of 2 children and running a home daycare out of my home full-time I thought it would be impossible not to have a microwave for heating up meals for the 7 children in my care.
In the spring of 2013 my microwave broke.
I decided now the time to stop using the microwave.
Even with 7 kids and a broken wrist at the time it didn’t take long to get used to not having a microwave in the kitchen.
Within a week I no longer missed it at all. Honestly it was so much easier than I thought it would be!
How do we heat up left overs?
It’s very simple.
I purchased various sized glass Pyrex type containers with lids.
I store the left overs in the containers that also can be placed in the toaster over (without the lids) and then heated to the proper temperature.
Food tastes much better, the quality is visibly better and I feel better knowing its just one more small thing I am doing to keep my kids safe and healthy.
Here is a link with lots of good scientific information about microwave use. If you are short on time scroll down to the bottom of the page for the conclusions and “10 reasons to get rid of your microwave”