Gluten free/dairy free bacon & onion potatoes
3 sheets of heavy-duty foil
3 tsp of gfcf dry onion soup mix
6 cups red potatoes cubed
12 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
1-2 large onions diced
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (if caramelizing the onions) or 3 tbsp of gfcf margarine if using raw diced onions
Optional: When roasting potatoes I like to cube the potatoes and bring them just to a boil first. This can be done on the stove or in the microwave. This makes the potatoes less starchy and dry when roasted.
Optional: The other “trick” I use when cooking with onions (stew, soup, roasted potatoes ect) is to caramelize the onions in a frying pan first with extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of white sugar. It makes the onions taste milder and adds a sweet taste. If you prefer spicy to sweet, skip this step.
1) Divide up the potatoes (slightly boiled or raw) onto the foil in 3 even piles.
2) Top with diced onions (or caramelized onions)
3) Add cooked and chopped bacon
4) If using raw diced onions add margarine evenly to potatoes. If using caramelized onions no need for margarine because of the olive oil.
5) Add 1 tsp of dry gfcf onion soup mix to each pile
6) Add salt and pepper to taste
7) Wrap the mixture up and grill on the bbq for 20-30 mins.
For those of you not on a gluten free dairy free diet, you can add shredded cheese to the mixture, top with sour cream and not have to worry about gfcf margarine or gfcf soup mix.